Friday, April 4, 2008

Taking Liberties

This week, I decided to clean out my cupboard by liberating some of the material in it and constructing useable objects from it. So I made a throw and pillowcase:

Over the years, my mother used to bring back packets of patchwork pieces for me from London (thanks Ma), some from Laura Ashley:

And some from Liberty:

Speaking of Liberty, I was visiting an upholsterer this week about a chair I'd like him to recover (more on that in a later post), and I noticed he had a pile of Liberty fabric he'd just taken off another couch he'd recovered, and was just going to throw it away. Now I know that Liberty fabric is not exactly the most sought-after brand, but I couldn't stand to see it wasted. So, uncharacteristically, I took the 'liberty' of asking him whether I could have the scraps. He looked at me as if I was a bit weird, but he let me have them. I'll put them to good use sometime. The only problem is that they're now taking up the room in my cupboard which I'd just cleared out!

This photo is not really showing much, but yesterday afternoon when I took it the water behind it was just so beautiful:

Anyway, I quite enjoyed liberating all these fabrics from either the cupboard or the bin, even if they are a little old-fashioned.

3 comments:

Jen said...

They look phenomenal!

Michelle said...

wow....love it over your chair in the last photo !!!! What a view !

beth said...

Thanks Jen and Michelle:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...