Monday, March 31, 2008

Former Ugly Duckling


Found this table at an op shop a couple of weeks ago for $5. You would not believe how ugly it was. It had a patched wood-grain veneer top and the pedestal colour could only be described as 'tan'. I forgot to take a 'Before' shot, which is probably a blessing. It scrubbed up pretty well though. The only problem is that I now have three round white tables in the boatshed. I've definitly reached the limit. I know the theory is that, for every piece of vintage you take home, you should also divest yourself of one. But I fall in love with everything I bring home, so there's nothing I want to part with.

10 comments:

simply seleta said...

Lovely little table. It's hard to part with any cherished vintage piece just because you found another, forget that rule.

Better to surround yourself with simple beauty and feel happy inside.

Jen said...

Beautiful, great work!

Anonymous said...

Lovely little table, so suited to your home. I too, believe in Op-Shop Karma. Got to give a little to get a little. I always give to my local shop and I always find little treasures.

Michelle said...

oooooooooh I need to get to an op shop !! Fabulous !!!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

That table is fantastic! Can you show us the how-to you used for painting it so perfectly? Were you sanding?

beth said...

Hi Maryam,
When you look closely it is a bit rough. But I don't mind the slightly shabby look. It didn't need sanding. I just painted it with a water-based undercoat, and then one coat of a low-sheen water-based indoor wall paint :)

beth said...

Thanks Seleta,
I do like your style philosophy :)

beth said...

Hi Danielle,

I've just got to learn to give a bit more, otherwise this boatshed will be a little squishy :)

beth said...

Thanks Jen :)

Chris Kauffman said...

I love tables like that too, I have a white one that bought new was a peachy yellow , that's right peachy yellow, I painted white, and recently I bought a beautiful black one , I was thinking I could use another , they clearly are addictive.
PS love the chair so much .
Chris

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...