Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I've Been Tagged

I've been tagged by Camille for the Versatile Blogger award. According to Camille,

"If you receive this award you list seven random things about yourself that people might find interesting and then give the award to ten to fifteen blogs that you've recently discovered. "

  So here are seven random things about me:

1. I started blogging over three years ago when I read an article about the wonderful Anna Spiro and looked at her blog. Not only does she have a great eye, she's a lovely person as well. I was hooked on blogs immediately.

2. Two years ago I graduated with a PhD in English Literature but I've recently come to the realisation that I don't want to pursue an academic career.

3. Instead I'm going to start a Visual Arts course next semester.

4. Last August when I was holidaying in London I found a lump in my groin which turned out to be malignant. It was a very rare sarcoma. Two operations and an 8 inch scar later, I think (and hope) that the cancer is completely gone. I feel in a way that I have received a gift - I'm going to pursue the important things and not waste time on what is not right for me. Hence numbers 2 and 3.

5. The world of design blogs has increased my knowledge amazingly. Through them I have found out about my favourite design people such as John Derian, Emily Chalmers, Anne Shore, Lyn Gardener, Shannon Fricke and many others. I've also found out about amazing stores such as Anthropologie, and have become an avid reader of design magazines and books.

6. My PhD wasn't wasted because I've had a book and some articles published, and learnt a whole lot about A. S. Byatt whose books were the topic of my thesis.

7. Blogging has taught me that you're not crazy if you have a love for rooms, houses, furniture, colours, shapes and textures, as well as images of these, no matter how blurry. It's opened my eyes to a whole lot of great people out there who are similarly hooked. Most of all it's taught me the importance of following your bliss.

Now I'm going to pass the Versatile Blogger award on to these lovely bloggers, who have been keeping me company on my difficult journey over the past few months, without realising it:

9 comments:

Simple Daisy said...

I agree!! I love blogging too:)
I am so happy you are cancer free. I can't imagine just how scary that would be to go through!
{{{{hugs to you}}}}

michelle said...

Congrats on your award and it was great to read some things about you. I am with you on the pursue the important things, life is way too short. I am so glad that you are feeling great! Good luck with your Visual Arts course, how fun and exciting!
XO

Camille said...

Hi Beth,

I had no idea you had struggled with sarcoma. It is inspiring to say the least, that you are pursuing what you really love. And I have to tell you that I very much relate to your number 7. Not a single of my friends really cares for interiors, so I often feel very much alone (and crazy!) in that department...

beachcomber said...

hi beth, thanks so much for the award! i'm sorry to hear about your health scare, it must have been such a difficult time for you. you have a great attitude! i'm glad we kept you company through this time. i'm thinking about my 7 random things...
cheryl xx

Andrea said...

I certainly hadn't realised you had been going through that!!! I'm sorry to hear it, and crossing fingers and toes that the cancer is completely gone. I'm glad to hear you are pursuing things that are meaningful to you - sometimes it can be a hard lesson to learn...I know I am still learning it myself.

Claudia Lane said...

Hi Beth! Congrats! you deserve it:)

Thank you for passing on the award to me!
You know, your blog was one of the first ones I came across while setting mine up and so it really means a lot to me xo

simmone said...

So glad to hear that you are feeling well, we never would have known - your posts are always so cheerful and inspiring. Congratulations on your award and thanks for offering me an award, I really wouldn't know what to do with it though. P.s I love your title page - so relaxing.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Beth
I've just popped over from Cheryl's blog [beachcomber] and so happy to have found yours.. I remember your boat shed article in ACS [favourite mag] and remember thinking how lovely it was.. and if only I could downsize enough to embrace the lifestyle!! hehe..

But seriously.. sorry to hear about the health scare yet great to hear you have overcome it.. I'm recently recovering from ill health [yet not too serious] and can appreciate the need for life to be simpler.. and to pursue our dreams....

Love that you mention John Derion.. I found his works through blogging also and absolutely love everything he does..

Ok congrats on your award.. and have a wonderful weekend.. ciao xxx Julie

Comeca Jones said...

Hi I am so happy that you have chosen me ! And I will surely make this my midweek post! And FYI I have so left "academic" pursuits for my love of life why @ 39do I choose this... Cause life is way to short!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...