Friday, April 16, 2010

The Down Side of Upcycling

I don't know whether my obsession with old things would be different if I had lots of cash to spare. I love expensive, new things too. The problem is that I can't afford them. For instance, I'd love a Kelly bag. Or a Birkin. I once read on a blog that someone had found two original Kelly bags for next to nothing at a brocante in France, but that doesn't exactly happen every day. I'd also love a piece of art by David Bromley, but they're out of my price range too. So, I'll just have to be content with this cover I bought at the opshop the other day:

Or these pewter beer mugs instead of an expensive glass vase:

And this art deco mirror:

As for never owning a Kelly bag or a David Bromley painting? I think I'll be able to live with that.
The down side of upcycling? I don't think there is one, really.

3 comments:

Pineapple Villa said...

What stunning things you have shown..just love them..and hey maybe one day you will find that Kelly bag! Mel xxx

beachcomber said...

things end up looking way more interesting when found or upcycled and gradually collected, rather than buying everything new.
love your boatshed and the mix of colours & vintage finds!

Anonymous said...

The only downside I have found is that I collect way too much stuff! Those bits and bobs are gorgeous.. and so rewarding giving things new life and purpose!
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...