Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Roman and Williams

Not much excites me when I open an Australian design magazine any more. While I appreciate mid-century design, I don't like the bland manufactured look of many Australian designers now. I like a lot of character and combinations of industrial, mid-west, mid-century etc. Also, I am veering more and more away from colours like pink, which I love, to neutral ones and tactile elements like steel, fur, marble etc. Affording these is another thing altogether. Just before I left Australia I read a Vogue article about New York design firm, Roman and Williams. I admire their stance on architectural integrity, and I love their muted, neutral schemes.Their style reminds me of John Derian's and Hollister Hovey's, with bones, shells, botanical prints etc. Their kitchen is stunning, particularly the use of marble:



This is the kitchen of Gwyneth Paltrow's New York residence. I love the combination of marble with the steel and glass of the apothecary cabinet:


This is their Montauk home. The white is offset by the deep timbers and artworks:


The fur throw looks great against the timber:


They took advantage of the missing drawer in this chest to store towels:


I love the black cupboards in their Montauk kitchen:


Images from Desire to Inspire.


Looks like I'll be having a market stall when I get back home, to sell all my colourful cushions, plates, lamp shades, prints etc and go on a shopping trip.

1 comment:

Leigha said...

What a visual feast! Love the subtle ecclecticism...it feels so personal.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...